The Monastery of Santa
Aikaterini is on the right of
the road that goes from Saint Nektarios
to Souvala before reaching the entrance
of the Monastery of Saint Nektarios.
It's a womans Monstery and 10 nuns live there. The Monastery is in a valley and it's surroundes with tall cypresses.
Telephone of the Monastery : 22970 - 53813
Virgin Mary Xrisoleontissa's Monastery
Mary Xrisoleontissa's Monastery
was built in the early 17th century.
It has high walls and it looks more
like a fort. It was built that way
because the monks were afraid
of the pirates. You can communicate
with the Monastery through a
big door. It's
a big, two storey building with a
garden in the center in which there
is a church and next to it, a three-storey
The tower rises above the valley and it was built around 1600. The church was built in 1800 in place of the old one which was burned.
The church has an elaborate carved icon screen, beautiful murals and Virgin Mary's icon. The Monastery was very rich and in its possession was the biggest part of the island.
During the 19th century, most of the fields of the Monastery expropriated and the monks left. From the year 1935 the Monastery became feminine and ten nuns live there ever since. The Monastery celebrates on 15th August and the biggest festival of the island takes place on that day.
Telephone of the Monastery : 22970 - 62100
the village called Asomatoi, outside the town of Aegina, is
the church of Saints Theodoron, which is a
church of the 19th century. There is an arch above the door
of the church which once had the Saint's icon on it.
Inside the church, we can see beautiful murals that are in a very good condition. The church was built in 1828 according to a sign which is above the door and on the left.
The Church of Faneromeni
Faneromeni is on the new road
to Saint Marina (Faneromenis street). Below
the exterior church of the
13th century are two smaller churches, that have been saved. In the second church, there is a wonderful
icon of Virgin Mary.
Behind the chancel Table, a passage leads to a small cave. The church, the vineyards and the orchards belong to Xrisoleontissa's Monastery. The church celebrates on 25th March on Annunciation day.
Monasteries of Palaioxoras
today looks very much like a place called Mistra, with churches
and ruins from houses. Only the churches have survived and the murals aren't in a very good condition. The church of Saint Nikolaos (13th century) is not very
far from Palaioxora. It has many murals some of which are
dated back to 1330.
Next to it is the church of Stavrou which
celebrates on September. On the left is the Bacilica of Saint George the
Catholic. Later on, the church was named Virgin
Mary the Foritissa.
As we continue, we see the Cathedral
of Saint Dionisiou who was the bishop of the island
from 1576 to 1579. The Saint lived in a cell which still exists. Southern, there is a small church which is dedicated to Santa
Anne. Another church that we find is a domed Basilica
which is built inside a rock.
up and on the left from this church are the ruins of a castle
which was built by the Venetians in 1654. From Saint Dionisio's
cell, a path leads around the hill passing by the church
of Saints Theodoroi and below that the church
of Taxiarxon. The Monastery of Santa Kiriaki was
the center of Palaioxora from the 12th century until 1830. Santa Kiriaki is a double Basilica with beautiful murals.
Down the path to Santa Kiriaki is the church of Saint
John the theologist with a blue dome and a blue
bell-tower. A few meters away is the Basilica of Saint
Nikolaos. The path goes up to the Basilica
of Saints Anargiron.
The church of Saint Dimitrios is on the
right and higher up and the church of Virgin
Mary is on
the left and lower down. Above the path, is the church
of Metamorphosis, whose murals have been saved. If you
return to the main path, you will see the church
of Saint George.